1.28.2013

01-28-2013 | Keeping Secrets



"All our methods of controlling the controllers have depended ultimately on trusting the elected representatives, but that has all gotten frayed and unpersuasive. Right now, the government of the US knows a lot more about terrorist threats than I do -- but I don't know how to trust them. Are their public measures over-reactions, under-reactions, or incredibly astute? I have absolutely no way of knowing.

Is there a Team B, a UN, a Club of Rome we could trust to be the check and balance? I don't think so. I think we're just in a tough Machiavellian world with very few tools other than insurgency (to put the fear into powerful abusers, but also to make them react viperously) on our side." - James J. O'Donnell, Georgetown

No comments:

Post a Comment